Telephone Recording Policy Notice
DrainBoss Plumbing & Drainage Ltd. has a telephone system that is capable of recording conversations. Like many other organisations, this is a standard practice that allows the recording of telephone calls for quality monitoring, training, compliance, to help us in dispute resolution, and security purposes.
We do this in the interests of offering a good service to our customers.
If you object to this, you will need to end the call when you are told that calls may be recorded. Alternative methods of communication are available.
All calls with DrainBoss may be recorded and will be retained for a period of six months after which they will be deleted unless retained for the purposes specified in this policy. Recordings will only be used for the purposes specified in this policy.
Purpose of this telephone recording policy
In order to maintain high standards and protect the public and staff we need to record all telephone calls received into, and made from the Customer Advice and Information Centre and retain them for a limited period of time.
We shall ensure that the use of these recordings is fair and that we comply with the requirements of the relevant legislation. This includes:
- The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
- The Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications Regulations) 2000
- The Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
- The General Data Protection Regulation 2018
- The Data Protection Act 2018
- The Human Rights Act 1998.
Scope of policy
All calls call made to or from the Customer Advice and Information Centre may be recorded. Under normal circumstances a call will not be retrieved, monitored or retained for longer than six months unless:
- it is necessary to investigate a complaint
- it is part of a management ‘spot check’ that customer service standards are being met. NB. Recordings used for quality monitoring purposes will be retained for 12 months
- there is a threat to the health and safety of staff or visitors or for the prevention or detection of crime.
- Any regulatory authority, statutory or debt collection agency request recordings or any legal obligation which applies to us, to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or the public
- it is necessary to check compliance with regulatory procedures
- it will aid standards in call handling through use in training and coaching our staff. However, this will only be permitted if the recording is edited so that the caller remains anonymous and the member of staff who was party to the call agrees to its being used in this way.
If it becomes clear that a communication is private or the person making the call says that they do not wish to have their call recorded, the call recording will be stopped.
Personal data collected in the course of recording activities will be processed fairly and lawfully in accordance with data protection law. It will be:
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- used for the purpose(s) stated in this policy only and not used for any other purposes
- accessible only to managerial staff after securing permission from the Head of Secretariat
- treated confidentially
- stored securely
- not kept for longer than necessary and will be securely destroyed once the issue(s) in question have been resolved.
Advising callers that calls are being monitored/recorded
When calls are received at DrainBoss we will inform the caller that their call is being recorded for quality/training purposes so that they have the opportunity to consent by continuing with the call or hanging up. Outbound calls may also be recorded. Our terms and conditions also state that calls are recorded.